The Netmums Coffeehouse Forum is a place where you can chat about everything under the sun with other parents.
To keep things running smoothly, we have a few basic rules to ensure the Forum is a friendly, safe and welcoming space for the Netmums community. Anyone found to be breaking these rules may be banned.
1. Report anything that doesn’t look right
We are not a pre-moderated forum, which means we rely on our users to report any posts that break our chat rules.
If you see anything that needs the attention of the Netmums Forum moderators – whether it be a thread in the wrong board or content that may be in breach of our rules – please do report it by tapping on the three-dot menu at the top right of the post, then tapping on 'Report'.
The Netmums team of forum moderators do not read each and every thread or post on the boards, so we rely on users to let us know about any posts that need their attention.
2. Treat others as you would want to be treated
We want everyone to feel safe in the Netmums Forum.
3. Disagree with the post, not the poster
Everyone has different opinions, but that doesn’t give you the right to attack other users.
4. Bullying, MLM and anti-vaccination content will not be tolerated
Netmums is a place for chat and support. Anyone behaving like a bully will be treated like one, and may not be allowed back onto the site.
Threads and posts containing anti-vaccination content will be removed and users banned.
Netmums does not support MLM (multi-level marketing) companies and we will not allow the promotion of them on our Forum. The Netmums Forum is not pre-moderated, but our team of moderators WILL delete MLM posts as they find them – and anyone can report them to the moderators to be deleted.
5. Trolls are not welcome
If you’re trolling, i.e. making stuff up to upset or get attention, people will figure it out and you’ll be banned. So stick to the truth.
6. You’re legally responsible for what you post
In particular, you may be held liable for any defamatory comments or threats. Threads about matters that are sub judice may be deleted.
7. Keep it clean
There are plenty of places on the internet to get your rocks off, but Netmums isn’t one of them. We are a site for adults, but we will delete posts that we consider to be obscene. We don't allow hate speech and will delete posts that use language that is aggressive or hurtful.
8. Don’t create multiple accounts
If you have more than one account, we’ll assume you’re up to no good and may ban all of your accounts.
9. Look out for vulnerable members
The world, and the internet, is a nicer place if we all look after one another. If you’re worried about a user, please get in touch with the moderation team via a report, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Finally, in the friendliest way possible, we’d like to remind everyone that on the chat forum: it’s our way or the highway.
Everyone who abides by the above rules is welcome on Netmums, but if you can’t play nicely, you may be permanently banned from the site.
A note on usernames
We allow most usernames within reason (including ones with numbers and spaces), but your username must:
- be unique
- be no longer than 20 characters
- NOT be obscene, offensive or contain swear words
- NOT contain identifiable information, such as a full name, email address, phone number or website
If you'd like to change your username, you can log in to your account then use our change of username form . If you have any problems, just email email@example.com
A note on posting as a professional
For legal reasons, members are asked not to post messages which offer advice from a professional point of view or in an official capacity (e.g. solicitors, midwives etc).
Anyone who works/has previously worked as a professional and wishes to post their opinion in the Netmums forum should bear the following rules in mind:
- Any opinion given should be given with the primary intention of providing support from a personal, not a professional, point of view.
- While you are welcome to state your current/previous professional expertise, you should not use our boards as a way of promoting or advertising any services, business or website provided or used by yourself or others.
- It should also be noted that the Netmums Forum is publicly viewable and you may be held legally accountable for any post, however well-intentioned, which could result in harm or injury to another person. In particular, Netmums forum members may be held liable for any defamatory comments, threats and untrue statements or other illegal and fraudulent claims made by them.
- Any posts which are reported to us and are found to be against our website policies or forum rules will be removed.
Do you still need help getting around our Forum? Check out our frequently asked questions and the abbreviations used in the forum .