This page contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a small amount of money if a reader clicks through and makes a purchase. All our articles and reviews are written independently by the Netmums editorial team.
A delicious creamy white sauce
repinanatoly / iStock / Getty Images Plus
- Difficulty: Easy
- Serves 6
- Total time
- 5 Mins
- Cooking time
- 5 Mins
2 tbsp plain flour
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Melt the butter in a saucepan or in the microwave for one to two minutes.
If using a microwave, pour the melted butter into a saucepan and simmer on a low heat.
Add the flour and stir well, to avoid any lumps forming.
Slowly pour in the milk and continue to stir until you have a thick, creamy sauce.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Refrigerate or add to a delicious lasagne or fish pie.
The trick to a flawless bechamel (without lumps) is to thoroughly combine the butter and flour before adding the milk. Once you have a smooth paste with no dry flour left at all, pour the milk in very slowly, stirring all the time to keep it smooth and silky.
Bechamel sauce has hundreds of uses, from a simple pasta sauce, to a base for creamy pies and savoury bakes.
A simple bechamel can make the base for all kinds of tasty sauces. Why not try...
- Add in a handful of mature Cheddar for a delicious cheese sauce (great for speedy cheesy pasta).
- Alternatively, opt for Gruyère and Parmesan for a mornay sauce.
- Pop in a spoon or two of mustard (delicious with chicken or meat).
- Replace the milk with chicken or beef stock for a simple sauce velouté.
- Add dried parsley for a sauce that works brilliantly with fish.
Always used to make lumpy bechamel, but I think I was adding the milk too quickly - these tips really helped!
Reviewed on 07/05/21
Most loved Netmums recipes
- Slow cooked sausage and onion casserole for kids
- Macaroni cheese for kids
- Fakeaway slow cooker doner kebab
- Tuna pasta bake for kids
- Cheesy mash
- Chocolate cornflake cakes for cooking with kids
- Rice Krispie cakes made with golden syrup
- Easy treacle syrup sponge pudding
- Chocolate tiffin
- Banana flapjacks