This page contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a small amount of money if a reader clicks through and makes a purchase. All our articles and reviews are written independently by the Netmums editorial team.
Dry, irritated skin is a common complaint for women during and after pregnancy.
Hormone changes and weight fluctuations may cause skin to lose its elasticity and moisture as it stretches and tightens to accommodate growing tummies.
Itchiness, discomfort and flakiness can happen, not to mention scarring and stretch marks.
Luckily, there are many oils and creams that can soothe and moisturise troubled skin.
Here's a few of our favourite moisturising buys that are ideal if you're pregnant or a new mum:
1. Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Butter
* Helps to keep your skin smooth during and after pregnancy
* Rich in naturally hydrating cocoa, shea and jojoba butters plus vitamin E
* Non-irritating formula that's free from phthalates, parabens, petrolatum, SLS and is against animal testing
This rich and nourishing belly butter is just what you need during and after pregnancy. It will keep stretched skin smooth and offer some much-needed relief and comfort to new mums and mums-to-be. Its formula not tested on animals and free from irritants and nasties, which makes it completely safe to use even on the most sensitive skin.
2. Palmer's Cocoa Butter Moisturising Lotion
* Daily body lotion that provides deep hydration and locks in moisture
* Helps improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks and imperfections
* Suitable to use on sensitive and eczema-prone skin
This moisturising lotion will soften extra-dry skin and heal flaky and rough areas drastically. It's infused with cocoa butter and vitamin E, which not only make skin super soft, but also improve the appearance of scars and stretch marks. A great, dermatologist-recommended option to use during pregnancy or after giving birth.
3. Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil
* Prevents from the formation of stretch marks during pregnancy and helps to fade existing ones
* Improves the appearance of uneven skin tone
* Smoothens and tones ageing and wrinkled skin
This wonder oil will improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks and uneven skin tone after regular use. Its advanced formula makes it highly effective for numerous other skin concerns as well, including ageing and dehydration. It also helps in maintaining the elasticity of scar tissue on joints and other high-mobility areas. A great addition to your pregnancy or postpartum skincare routine!
4. Mustela Stretch Marks Prevention Cream
* Maintains and improves skin elasticity
* Helps in the prevention of stretch marks
* Relieves tightness and soreness
This deeply moisturising and stretch mark-preventing cream is a must-have for expectant and new mums. It has an unique combination of active ingredients that will relieve any sensation of tightness and restore the skin's elasticity. It leaves your skin feeling supple and comfortable, just what you need during or after pregnancy!
5. Motherlylove Relaxing Bath Oil
* Infused with fragrant and skin conditioning essential oils
* Soothes and hydrates the skin
* Suitable for everyday use
Why not keep your skin conditioned and moisturised while enjoying a relaxing bath at the same time? This luxurious bath oil is an all-in-one hydrating and calming way of aiding the postpartum recovery process. It's a soothing solution that soaks away everyday aches and discomfort after delivering a baby. Its fresh woody fragrance with a hint of floral is gorgeous, too!
6. trilogy Organic Rosehip Oil
* Rich in antioxidants, which help preserve skin cell structure
* Clinically proven to help with healing scars, stretch marks and 'filling in' wrinkles
* Safe to use on dry, sensitive skin (on babies, too)
Rosehip is the oil that started the natural skincare revolution. This versatile oil is suitable for all-round use by all skin types, but works especially well for body care and for helping fade scars and stretch marks. Just apply two to three drops on your palm and gently massage into skin. Follow up with your regular moisturiser for best results (and baby-smooth skin!).
7. La Roche-Posay Lipikar AP+ Cleansing Oil, £10.50
* Use in the shower, instead of your regular body wash
* Ideal for dry skin nourishment and its natural pH restoration
* Infused with shea butter and niacinamide
This skin-salving product will make showers a pleasure for your dry and troubled skin. It has a higher concentration of hydrating ingredients than a regular body wash and protects the skin from drying out. It can be used both as a body wash and as a bathing oil so mums can enjoy a relaxing and nourishing soak every once in a while.
- The best beauty buys for new mums
- Quick fix beauty hack buys that all mums need
The best skincare buys for busy mums